Tips for a Successful Application
Select an Interesting Topic
If you are having difficulty selecting a topic, look for ideas in our Research Agenda
. It addresses issues concerned with maximizing health care efficiency and effectiveness in a provider environment of limited resources and is organized into four main areas: education, management, practice and technology.
Conduct a Thorough Literature Review
Review the information other investigators have published on your topic. This will prevent repetition of work that has already been done and may also help you develop additional questions to pursue.
Review Your Proposal
This is the most important part of your application. Before submitting your full proposal, review it one last time and make sure that it accomplishes all of the following:
- Background information is stated in a concise manner
- Goals and hypothesis are stated clearly
- Methods are appropriately described
- A detailed budget with justifications for expenses has been prepared
- The significance of the research is indicated, including how the study contributes to the larger picture of research in a specific field of study
Apply Ahead of Schedule
Application deadlines are August 1 and March 1 each year. It is a good idea to submit your grant proposal well before the deadline in case you are advised to make revisions in order for your proposal to be accepted for review. Use the links below to find out more information about the exact specifications for each proposal type: